We are a little over two weeks (17 days to be exact) from the third annual Winter Classic taking place in Boston. It should be a great game between the Bruins and Flyers, and a great scene at historic Fenway Park. In case you missed some of our posts from this weekend, here are two commercials to get you pumped up for the game!
At this time of year, you can’t help but to think to the next couple years down the road, and thinking where the Winter Classic could be held next. Here are my top five choices, in order of when they should take place…
Note: All five are in the US because I don't think the NHL/NBC will let this game move north of the border (ratings purposes).
1. YANKEE STADIUM Ideal matchup (2011): Rangers vs. Capitals This would have the potential to be a ratings bonanza for NBC. Ovechkin has yet to play in this event, and the Rangers are dying to host one. Ovechkin, New York, Yankee Stadium… sounds good to me!
2. HEINZ FIELD Ideal matchup (2012): Penguins vs. Devils Eventually, I think Pittsburgh will get a chance to host the Winter Classic. Heinz Field would be a nice backdrop, but you’re running the risk of interfering with the Steelers. If they could make it work, I think the league would enjoy a Crosby vs. Brodeur marketing tool.
3. MICHIGAN STADIUM Ideal matchup (2013): Red Wings vs. Blackhawks Why not have a rematch of last year’s game?? It’s one of the best rivalries in the game, and both should still be great teams in 2012. Michigan Stadium can hold upwards of 100,000 people, and the league will want to stage this event in ‘Hockeytown’ at some point.
4. TCF BANK STADIUM Ideal matchup (2014): Wild vs. Penguins The Wild organization will be pushing hard to get the Winter Classic to come to the University of Minnesota’s gorgeous new stadium. They’ll get it eventually, but will need a marquee opponent. In lies the Penguins, who have the most known player in the game today.
5. CITIZENS BANK PARK Ideal matchup (2015): Flyers vs. Islanders Philadelphia will get a shot to host this event in the future. They could host the Islanders, becoming the last of the three New York teams to be included. They’ll have John Tavares, who at this point should be a well-known superstar. ‘The Bank’ would be a great venue…
Two other stadiums that were considered were Coors Field in Denver, and FedEx Field in Washington DC. What are your ideas for future Winter Classic destinations??
Thanks to Dirk Hoag (@Forechecker) for the Michigan Stadium heads up!
Our podcast 'RLD Hockey Talk' is LIVE every Wednesday afternoon at 1:00 ET/Noon CT. Some of our notable guests in past episodes have been Dustin Brown, Doc Emrick, John Buccigross, Dave Strader, E.J. Hradek, Elliotte Friedman and Jay Grossman.